Thursday, January 17, 2013

Permaculture Tip: What to do with your Sprouted Garlic Bulbs

My bowl of sprouted garlic bulbs.

When I use fresh garlic (and you should, too... not that jar of pre-minced stuff!), I inevitably have some cloves start to sprout. Maybe the garlic was older, or the moisture in my kitchen higher. Whatever the reason, a decision has to be made. Can I use it? The short answer is yes. Here are a few ways:

1) Use it as normal. If the sprout is small, and the clove has not become soft, then it will have little influence on the dish. Chop the sprout with the clove, and use it as if it wasn't even there. The old wive's tales you may have heard from your mother or grandmother about sprouted garlic being poisonous or causing cancer or causing ulcers or whatever... all wrong. Sprouted garlic is just fine to eat. No worries.

2) Trim out the sprout. Some people don't want green in whatever it is they are cooking. Some people think the spout tastes bitter, though I have never found it to be so. But if you do not want the sprout, and the rest of the bulb is still firm and still smells like good, fresh garlic, then just cut the bulb in half, right down the long side of the sprout, and peel it out. It is quite easy to do. Then use the rest of the garlic bulb as normal.

3) Plant it! This is one of my favorite things to do with sprouted garlic bulbs. I typically have a pile of sprouted garlic bulbs in my kitchen (see the photo above). When the pile gets too big, I take them outside and plant them everywhere I can. Just place them sprout side up in the dirt and push down until the bulb is covered all the way. Put them in the flower boxes. Put them in pots. Put them in the hanging planters. Put them amongst the flowers and vegetables. Put them anywhere you have dirt. If it is too cold outside, then put them in planters in the house. They grow easily and fast. Leave them in place long enough, and a new head (with a bunch of new cloves) will form.

Note: This works for garlic and onions and shallots alike. I even take scallions (a.k.a. green onions) that still have some roots and plant them as well. Typically, the bunch from the store has just a few too many shoots for the meal I am making. The extras go right into the garden after I trim the wilted leaves off of them. I have at least a dozen scallion plants growing in just one planter near my driveway. It is so simple, takes next to no work, and provides me with fresh, flavorful ingredients... just a snip away!

Permaculture Tip is an idea that is derived from observing and interacting with nature.  It is simple.  It is safe.  It is effective.  It helps build a sustainable system of agriculture and life in general.  If you have any Permaculture Tips you would like to share, please let me know.  I will post it here, give you the credit, and post a link to your blog or website if you have one.  Email me here: kitsteiner@hotmail.com

29 comments:

  1. Good idea. Garlic has lots of uses in permaculture. Easy to grow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green sprouted part in the centre of the clove is in essence a flatulence catalyser.

    Slice the clove in half, and then peel the shoot out and eat what remains and you may come off with less wind, some people say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it ok that my garlic already has 4-6 inch sprouts now. Planted late October or the first of November. The temps are beginning to become much colder at night. I'm in central Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a special question for assistance -- my dad saved me a dozen dried garlic cloves from his garden in Connecticut -- I live in Zone 7 Texas -- my dad passed away before telling me what to do with them so I planted the, in good potting soil in a hanging basket and the are growing now 2 inch green shoots and thriving well. But I read they like cool weather and I'm in Texas -- what do I do with them now? I really want to help them thrive and grow for cooking -- these are special garlic cloves -- advice appreciated
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this organic garlic only or can store bought garlic do this as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this organic garlic only or can store bought garlic do this as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for another wonferdul article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.
    cool math games| coolmathgames| cool math| coolmath| math games| cool math a-z| coolmath games
    b cubed| b-cubed| barbie games| friv 4 school| friv4school| free online games| friv.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great possibility for me and it was a superb knowledge to view this site. Very difficult to uncover these beneficial web page or web site. I have many devices and achieving proper picture of these worked well and energy continues to be seeing about this weblog. Often my own intend to make my personal site as well as my own enjoyment is growing due to this page. I we do hope you may well be more effective.
    happy wheels| cool math games| 8 ball pool| sudoku| yoob| friv| monster high
    tetris| shooting games| barbie games| friv4school|

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big Farm

    Big Farm is an awesome multiplayer farm management game made by the Goodgame Studios.
    Your mission is simple: Create a big farm, grow crops, breed animals,
    and become the richest farmer of the universe. Enjoy Goodgame's Big Farm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The article you have shared here very awesome. I really like and appreciated your work. I read deeply your article, the points you have mentioned in this article are useful
    Signature:
    i like play games happy wheels online and play happy wheels 2 games and How to play game Zombie Tsunami , What is app Retrica Camera , retrica camera , happy wheels , agario

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!
    slither io | wings io | science kombat | tank trouble 4

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend
    Cookie Clicker
    Cookie Clicker play
    Cookie Clicker game
    Cookie Clicker online

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for commenting, it is lovely and really makes my day!
    wheely 8 games | zoxy 3 | twizlgames | papalouie 4

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for commenting, it is lovely and really makes my day!
    zoxy games |
    friv 10 games | friv games | friv 100 play

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great information I will tweet to my friends to get them to check it out. keep it up. Thanks for sharing!.If have a long time than visit to:
    crosswords puzzles | dream league soccer apk | cookie clicker | dream league soccer apk | crossword puzzles | cookie clicker

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.
    Wonderful post, really great tips and advice.
    friv 3
    friv 4
    kizi 2

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks I have read your article, it is very interesting and exciting
    download go launcher, go launcher apk, go launcher , go launcher androi,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mostly people have all the same things when they are writing academic task or any other writing, especially light music most people like during the writing.
    dream league soccer download , dream league soccer apk , download dream league soccer , dream league soccer

    ReplyDelete
  19. You need to have time to take care of the active. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you.

    baixar banana kong , banana kong , download banana kong , banana kong download , banana kong

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mostly people have all the same things when they are writing academic task or any other writing, especially light music most people like during the writing.
    facebook iniciar sesión , facebook, iniciar sesion , iniciar sesion facebook

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mostly people have all the same things when they are writing academic task or any other writing, especially light music most people like during the writing.

    subway surf , baixar subway surf, subway surf download , download subway surf

    ReplyDelete
  22. You need to have time to take care of the active. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you.

    entrar hotmail agora , hotmail entrar, entrar hotmail , entrar no hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again.
    agar.io online| zoxy games
    friv .org

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your blog posts are more interesting and impressive. I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me.I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.
    hotmail login l login hotmai l hotmail log in l hotmail sign in l hotmail sign up

    ReplyDelete
  25. You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.
    Facebook Lite

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you must watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Have your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete